According to the Center for Learning and Teaching of Literature, these are the most often taught books in high school:
- Romeo and Juliet by Shakespeare
- Macbeth by Shakespeare
- Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain
- Julius Caesar by Shakespeare
- To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
- The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne
- Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck
- Hamlet by Shakespeare
- The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
- Lord of the Flies by William Golding
You know I love reading, but this list makes me sort of understand why kids don’t like to read. It would be nice to see a title which is more recent and something teenagers would enjoy reading better.
Do you agree (or not)?
ps. Then again, if we get to read more recent titles for English class, I wouldn’t have read books like Macbeth and Hamlet, and also Jane Eyre (which I did for class). So… maybe there’s some good in forcing classics on students.😛